Transfer equivalencies

UMSN student on computerSophomore transfers

U-M allows credits to be transferred from accredited community colleges and other four-year institutions to meet program-specific prerequisites so long as the student earned a grade of "C" or above in the course(s) being transferred.

Transferable courses and equivalencies listed on the U-M transfer credit equivalency website can satisfy nursing program prerequisites.

Transfer applicants should consult the application requirements to know which courses are prerequisites for application and to identify which of these courses may be transferred from previously completed coursework.

Transfer applicants should also see the course equivalents and self-review guide. Courses not listed on either the U-M transfer equivalency website or in the guide have not been evaluated by the University of Michigan and may not transfer for credit. Courses are evaluated as part of the application review process. To have courses evaluated, prospective students must complete and submit their applications, including their application fees. The guide lists coursework equivalents at numerous institutions.

If students are unable to complete prerequisites by taking classes at an approved institution, they should take the following steps:

  1. Review the course description for each prerequisite needed as offered through U-M School of Nursing.

  2. Review the course description for these prerequisites as approved equivalencies from other institutions.

  3. Compare these description with the course that they think might work as an equivalency; if approximately 90% of the course content is the same, there is a strong possibility (but no guarantee) that the course will transfer.

  4. Consult with an advisor and/or professor at their current institution for assistance.