Stephen Strobbe, PhD, RN, NP, PMHCNS-BC, CARN-AP
University of Michigan School of Nursing
400 North Ingalls Building
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-5482
Scholarly Expertise / Activity
- Alcoholics Anonymous
- Mental health and substance use disorders
- Prevention, treatment, and recovery
Dr. Stephen Strobbe is board certified in both psychiatric and addictions nursing. He served as the first Clinical Director for the University of Michigan Addiction Treatment Services (UMATS) in the Department of Psychiatry, for which he received the Administration Management Award from the International Nurses Society on Addictions (IntNSA) in 2007. He completed doctoral studies in 2009, with a concentration in bio-behavioral health. His dissertation was titled, “Alcoholics Anonymous: Personal Stories, Relatedness, Attendance and Affiliation.” He returned to clinical practice in 2010, providing psychiatric evaluations and medication management for patients in addictions treatment. Dr. Strobbe has published approximately 20 articles in peer-reviewed journals, and was co-author for a chapter in the Cambridge Textbook of of Effective Treatments in Psychiatry. Dr. Strobbe is currently serving a second consecutive term on the Board of Directors for the International Nurses Society on Addictions.
Dr. Strobbe has served as a lecturer, preceptor, and clinical instructor for both undergraduate and graduate nursing students in the areas of psychiatric-mental health and addictions nursing. In particular, he has been preceptor to a number of advanced practice nursing students with an interest in psychiatric and/or addictions nursing. Dr. Strobbe has presented numerous jury-selected papers, posters, and symposia, served as a consultant, and given invited talks both nationally and internationally. Prior to his appointment as a Clinical Assistant Professor at the University of Michigan School of Nursing (UM-SON), Dr. Strobbe was an Adjunct Clinical Assistant Professor in the Clinical Adjunct Faculty Network (CAFN) from 2010 to 2012. Dr. Strobbe recently appeared as the invited guest expert on the first episode of the Ask Dr. Nandi television show.
Affiliations / Service
- Member, Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI) Honor Society of Nursing (1989-present)
- Member, International Nurses Society on Addictions (IntNSA,1996-present)
- Member, University of Michigan Substance Abuse Research Center (UMSARC, 2002-present)
- Board of Directors, Addiction Nurses Certification Board (ANCB, 2002-2007)
- University of Michigan Depression Center (2009-present)
- Board of Directors, IntNSA (2010-present)
Notable Awards / Honors
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, Eastern Michigan University, College of Health and Human Services, 1997
- Edith Galt Morgan Award for Leadership and Scholarly Excellence in Psychiatric-Mental Health Nursing, University of Michigan School of Nursing, 1999
- Meritorious Award for Doctoral Studies, University of Michigan School of Nursing, 2003-2009
- Administration/Management Award, International Nurses Society on Addictions (IntNSA), 2007
- PhD, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 2009
- MS, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 1998
- BSN, Eastern Michigan University, Ypsilanti, MI 1989
- Strobbe, S., Perhats, C., & Broyles, L. M. (in press). [Position paper, International Nurses Society on Addictions, and Emergency Nurses Association]. Expanded roles and responsibilities for nurses in screening, brief intervention, and referral to treatment (SBIRT) for alcohol use. Journal of Addictions Nursing.
- Strobbe, S., Cranford, J. A., Wojnar, M., & Brower, K. J. (in press). [Special issue: Addiction and spirituality]. Spiritual awakening predicts improved drinking outcomes in a Polish treatment sample. Journal of Addictions Nursing.
- Strobbe, S. (in press). [Continuing education feature]. Addressing substance use in primary care. Nurse Practitioner.
- Strobbe, S., Thompson, S. M., & Zucker, R. A., (2013). [Special issue: Interdisciplinary collaboration in addiction education]. Teaching college students about Alcoholics Anonymous: An experiential approach.
- Strobbe, S., Hagerty, B., & Boyd, C. J. (2012). [Continuing education feature]. Applying the nursing Theory of Human Relatedness to alcoholism and recovery in Alcoholics Anonymous. Journal of Addictions Nursing, 23(1), 241-247.
- Oliver, J., Coggins, C., Compton, P., Hagan, S., Matteliano, D., Stanton, M., St. Marie, B., Strobbe, S., & Turner, H. (2012). [Dual publication]. American Society for Pain Management Nursing position statement: Pain management in patients with substance use disorders. Pain Management Nursing Journal, 13(3), 169-183. Journal of Addictions Nursing.
- Strobbe, S., & Hobbins, D. (2012). [Position paper]. The prescribing of buprenorphine by advanced practice addictions nurses. Journal of Addictions Nurses, 23(2), 82-83.
- Strobbe, S., & Kurtz, E. (2012). Narratives for recovery: Personal stories in the 'Big Book' of Alcoholics Anonymous. Journal of Groups in Addiction and Recovery, 7(1), 29-52.
- Strobbe, S., Mathias, L., Gibbons, P. W., Humenay, E., & Brower, K. J. (2011). Buprenorphine clinic for opioid maintenance therapy: Program description, process measures, and patient satisfaction. Journal of Addictions Nursing, 22(1), 8-12.
- Wojnar, M., Brower, K. J., Strobbe, S., Ilgen, M., Matsumoto, H., Nowosad, I., Sliwerska, E., & Burmeister, M. (2009). An association between val66met brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) gene polymorphism and post-treatment relapse in alcohol dependence. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, 33(4), 693-702.
- Robinson, E. A. R. , Strobbe, S., & Brower, K. J. (2008). Complementary and alternative medicine for alcohol misuse. In P. Tyrer & K. R. Silk (Eds.). Cambridge Textbook of Effective Treatments in Psychiatry (pp. 340-350. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Brower, K. J., Kim, H. M., Strobbe, S., Karam-Hage, M. A., Consens, F., & Zucker, R. A. (2008). A randomized double-blind pilot trial of gabapentin vs. placebo to treat alcohol dependence and co-morbid insomnia. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, 32 (8), 1429-1438.
- Strobbe, S., Brower, K. J., & Galen, L. W. (2004). Patient satisfaction with outpatient detoxification from alcohol. Journal of Addictions Nursing, 15 (1), 23-29.
- Strobbe, S., Brower, K. J., & Galen, L. W. (2003). Gender and outpatient detoxification from alcohol. Journal of Addictions Nursing, 14 (1), 19-25.
- Strobbe, S., Brower, K. J., & Galen, L. W. (2003). Predicting outpatient opioid detoxification using clonidine. American Journal on Addictions, 12(3), 260-269.