Faculty mentors are key to student success. The mentor can:
- Take an interest in developing another person’s career and well-being.
- Have an interpersonal as well as a professional relationship with those whom they mentor.
- Advance the person’s academic and professional goals in directions most desired by the individual.
- Tailor mentoring styles and content to the individual, including adjustments due to differences in culture, ethnicity, gender and more.
- Socialize students into the culture of the discipline.