Olga Yakusheva, PhD
University of Michigan School of Nursing
400 North Ingalls Building
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-5482
Scholarly Expertise / Activity
- Acute care nursing
- Social networks
- Peer effects in health outcomes
- Patient outcomes in acute care
- Human capital
Current Research Grants and Programs:
- Robert Wood Johnson Future of Nursing research manager program (PI)
- American Nurses Credentialing Center multi-site grant (co-I)
Dr. Yakusheva taught courses in health economics, applied microeconomics, and microeconomic theory, at both the undergraduate level and the graduate level. She has mentored graduate students in, both, business and nursing; she has been a member of several graduate thesis committees. Dr. Yakusheva has received several teaching awards and recognitions.
Affiliations / Service
- Member, AcademyHealth, 2008-present
- Member, American Economics Association, 2005-present
- Member, American Society of Health Economists, 2007-present
- Member, Society of Labor Economists, 2005-present5.
Notable Awards / Honors
- Visiting Scholar, Yale University School of Public Health
- AcademyHealth best abstract award, 2014
- Post-doctoral training, Yale University, School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, 2013
- Ph.D., University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana, IL, 2005
- MS, University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana, IL, 1997
- BS, Kazakh State University, Almaty, KZ, 1995
- Yakusheva O. “Health Spillovers among Hospital Patients: Evidence from Roommate Assignments.” American Journal of Health Economics, forthcoming in 2016.
- Fletcher J. and Yakusheva O. “Peer Effects on Teenage Fertility: Social Transmission Mechanisms and Policy Recommendations.” American Journal of Health Economics, forthcoming in 2016.
- Davis M., Yakusheva O., Gottlieb DJ, Bynum JP.” Regional Supply of Chiropractic Care and Visits to Primary Care Physicians for Back and Neck Pain” J Am Board Fam Med. Jul-Aug 2015; 28(4):481-90
- Yakusheva O. and J.M. Fletcher. “Learning from Teen Childbearing Experiences of Close Friends: Evidence Using Miscarriages as a Natural Experiment.” Review of Economics and Statistics, 97(1) March 2015, pp: 29-43.
- Yakusheva, O., R. Lindrooth and M.E. Weis. “Nurse Value Added and Patient Outcomes in Acute Care.” Health Services Research (Best of AcademyHealth 2014 issue), Nov 2014, 49(6):1767-1786.
- Yakusheva O., Lindrooth R. and M. Weiss. “Economic Evaluation of the 80 Percent Baccalaureate Nurse Workforce Recommendation: A Patient-level Analysis.” Medical Care, lead paper and editorial, Oct 2014, 52(10):864-869.
- Yakusheva O., Kapinos K., and D. Eisenberg. “Estimating Heterogeneous and Hierarchical Peer Influences on Body Weight Using Roommate Assignment as a Natural Experiment.” Journal of Human Resources, 49(1), January 2014, pp: 234-261.
- Kapinos K., Yakusheva O., and D. Eisenberg. “Obesogenic Environmental Influences on Young Adults: Evidence from Randomized Dormitory Assignment.” Economics and Human Biology, 12, January 2014, pp. 98-109.
- Weiss, M.E., Costa, L., Yakusheva, O., & Bobay. K. “Validation of patient and nurse short forms of the Readiness for Hospital Discharge Scale and their relationship to return to the hospital.” Health Services Research, 49(1), February 2014, pp: 304-317.
- Jerofke T., Weiss M., and O. Yakusheva. “Patient Perceptions of Patient-Empowering Nurse Behaviors, Patient Activation, and Functional Health Status in Post-Surgical Patients with Life-Threatening Chronic Illnesses.” Journal of Advanced Nursing, 70(6), Nov 2013, pp: 1310-1322.
- Bradley E., Yakusheva O., Horowitz L., Fletcher J.M., and H. Sipsma. “A Simple Tool to Identify Patients at Increased Risk of Readmission Within 30 Days.” Medical Care, lead paper and editorial, 51(9), Sept 2013, pp.761-766
- Yakusheva O., Wholey D., and K. Frick. “What Can We Learn from the Existing Evidence on the Business Case for Nursing Investments: the Importance of Content, Context, and Policy Environment.” Medical Care, 51, Apr 2013, pp.S47–S52
- Weiss, M., Yakusheva O., and K. Bobay. “Nurse Staffing, Readiness for Hospital Discharge, and Post-Discharge Utilization.” Health Services Research, 46(5), Oct 2011, pp.1473-1494
- Leonhardt K., Yakusheva O., and D. Phelan. “Clinical and Cost- Effectiveness Analysis of Universal vs. Targeted MRSA Admission Screening in Hospitals.” Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology, 32(8), Aug 2011, pp.797-803
- Yakusheva O. “In High School and Pregnant: the Importance of Educational and Fertility Expectations for Subsequent Outcomes.” Economic Inquiry, 49(3), Jul 2011, pp.810-837