Michelle L. Aebersold
Michelle L. Aebersold, PhD, RN
University of Michigan School of Nursing
400 North Ingalls Building
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-5482
Scholarly Expertise / Activity
- Virtual Reality/Serious Games
- Patient Safety
- Evidence-Base Practice
- Nursing Expertise
Dr. Aebersold’s professional and academic career is focused on advancing the science of education through the development of innovative and effective educational techniques and technologies. Her research is in the area of simulation including virtual reality simulation and its impact on the skill development of both pre and post licensure nurses. She has also established a fully integrated simulation and competency program in the undergraduate program. The skills and assessment labs under her direction utilize a virtual community, self-directed e-learning, and case studies to deliver content in an integrative pedagogical learning environment. In her practice area she consults with various nursing groups to integrate simulation and other innovative strategies to improve nursing practice at the point of care.
Current Research Grants and Programs:
- Redesigning Clinical Skills Training through Technology-Gilbert Whitaker Fund for the Improvement of Teaching II (2012-2013) 15,000-Principal Investigator)
- Virtual Education-The Future-Fostering Innovation Grant UMHS (2010-2013-$16,000-Co-Investigator)
Dr. Aebersold teaches at both the undergraduate and graduate level. She teaches in the area of leadership, quality and safety, operations and education strategies. She has been involved in the use of innovative teaching techniques including the use of collaborative tools, virtual reality and simulation. As Lead Faculty for the Clinical Learning Center she works closely with faculty to design high quality simulation learning experiences for students at both the graduate and undergraduate level. She has received several education grants which she has used to develop a solid area of research in the science of education that supports both her program of scholarship and her expertise as a teacher.
Affiliations / Service
- Society for Simulation in Health Care, (2006-current)
- International Nursing Association for Clinical Simulationand Learning (2010- current)
- Midwest Nursing Research Society (September 2007-current)
- PhD, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 2008
- MSBA, Madonna University, Livonia, MI, 1991
- BSN, Madonna University, Livonia, MI, 1985
- Rochman, M., Aebersold, M., Tschannen, D. & Cambridge, C. (2012) Interprofessional Simulation on Nurse Interruptions, Journal of Nursing Care Quality, 27(3), 277-281.
- Tschannen, D., Aebersold, M., McLaughlin, E., Bowen, J., & Fairchild, J. (2012) Use of virtual simulations for improving knowledge transfer among baccalaureate nursing students. Journal of Nursing Education and Practice, 2(3), 15-24. doi: 10.5430/jnep.v2n3p15.
- Aebersold, M., Tschannen, D., & Bathish, M. (2012) Innovative simulation strategies in education, Nursing Research and Practice. Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 765212, 7 pages doi:10.1155/2012/765212.
- Wilson, D., Redman, R.W., Talsma, A., Aebersold, M. (2012) Differences in perceptions of patient safety culture between charge and non-charge nurses: implications for effectiveness outcomes research. Nursing Research and Practice, vol. 2012, Article ID 847626, 7 pages, doi:10.1155/2012/847626.
- Aebersold, M., Tschannen, D., Stephens, M., Anderson, P., Lei, X. (2011) Second life: a new strategy in educating nursing students. Clinical Simulation in Nursing. Advance online publication 3 September 2011 doi: 10.1016/j.ecns.2011.05.002
- Aebersold, M. Kocan, M.J., Tschannen, D. & Michaels, J. (2011) Using simulation in stroke unit education. Journal of Neuroscience Nursing. 43(6), 349-353. Doi:10.1097/JNN.0b013e318234e9ca
- Tschannen, D., Keenan, G., Aebersold, M., Kocan, M.J., Lundy, F. & Averhardt, V. (2011) Implications of nurse-physician Relations: report of a successful intervention. Nursing Economic$, May-June 29(3), 127-135.
- Aebersold, M. (2011). Using simulation to improve the use of evidence-based practice guidelines [special issue]. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 33(3), 296-305. doi:10.1177/0193945910379791
- Tschannen, D. and Aebersold, M. (2010) “Improving student critical thinking skills through an rca pilot project” Journal of Nursing Education, 49(8), 475-478.
- Lansford CD, Guerriero CH, Kocan MJ, Turley R, Groves MW, Bahl V, Abrahamse P, Bradford CR, Chepeha DB, Moyer J, Prince ME, Wolf GT, Aebersold ML, Teknos TN.(2008) Improved outcomes in patients with head and neck cancer using a standardized care protocol for postoperative alcohol withdrawal. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. Aug;134(8):865-72.PMID: 18711062 DOI: 10.1001/archotol.134.8.865