Michelle L. Aebersold
Michelle L. Aebersold, PhD, RN, FAAN
University of Michigan School of Nursing
400 North Ingalls Building
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-5482
Scholarly Expertise / Activity
- Virtual Reality/Augmented Reality
- Serious Games
- Innovative Education Methods
- Patient Safety
Dr. Aebersold’s professional and academic career is focused on advancing the science of learning applied in simulation to align clinician and student practice behaviors with research evidence to improve learner and health outcomes. She focuses her scholarship in both high fidelity and virtual reality simulation and is a national leader and expert in simulation. Her scholarship has culminated in developing the Simulation Model to Improve Learner and Health Outcomes (SMILHO).
Current Research Grants and Programs:
- Using New Technologies to Develop Capacity for HIV Prevention (PIs Aebersold, M & Villarruel, A) NIH R21MH095723 2012-2014
- Undergraduate International Studies and Foreign Language Learning (Co-I) Undergraduate International Studies and Foreign Language Program 2012-2014
- Using Blogger to Improve Student Engagement and Learning (PI Center for Research on Learning and Teaching-Investigating Student Learning Grant 2013-2014
Dr. Aebersold teaches at both the undergraduate and graduate level. She teaches in the area of leadership, quality and safety, operations and education strategies. She has been involved in the use of innovative teaching techniques including the use of collaborative tools, virtual reality and simulation. As Director for the Clinical Learning Center she works closely with faculty to design high quality simulation learning experiences for students at both the graduate and undergraduate level. She has received several education grants which she has used to develop a solid area of research in the science of engaged learning and simulation based learning that supports both her program of scholarship and her expertise as a teacher.
Affiliations / Service
- Board of Directors Bylaws Chair, International Nursing Association for Clinical Simulation and Learning (INACSL) (2013-2014)
- Vice-Chair IMSH Curriculum Development Committee, Society for Simulation in Healthcare (SSIH) (2014)
- Chair of the Quality Improvement Simulation Standards Sub Committee, International Nursing Association for Clinical Simulation and Learning (INACSL) (2014-2015)
- Co-Chair Education and Networking Group, National Nursing Practice Network-(2010-ongoing)
- Member Standards Committee, International Nursing Association for Clinical Simulation and Learning (INACSL) (2015-2016)
- Society for Simulation in Healthcare (SSH) Research Committee, 2015-ongoing
- Society for Simulation in Healthcare (SSH) Education Committee, 2015-ongoing
Notable Awards / Honors
- Certificate of Excellence in Reviewing-Clinical Simulation in Nursing, 2014
- Sloan-C Conference Best-in-Track Award, 2014
- Fellow, American Academy of Nursing, 2015
- PhD, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 2008
- MSBA, Madonna University, Livonia, MI, 1991
- BSN, Madonna University, Livonia, MI, 1985
- Aebersold, M. (in press) The history of simulation and its impact on the future, AACN Advanced Critical Care.
- Aebersold, M. & Tschannan, D. Using virtual environments to achieve learner outcomes in interprofessional healthcare education. (in press) at IGI Global.
- Bathish, M., Aebersold, M., Fogg, L, & Potempa, K. (in press) Development of an Instrument to Measure Deliberate Practice in Professional Nurses, Applied Nursing Research.
- Sittner, B. J., Aebersold, M.L., Paige, J.B., Graham, L., Parsons-Schram, A., Decker, S.I. & Lioce, L. (2015) INACSL Standards of Best Practice: Past, Present, and Future, Nursing Education Perspectives, 36(5), 294-298.
- Aebersold, M., Villarruel, A.M., Tschannen, D.T, Valladares, A.F., Yaksich, J., Yeagly, E., & Hawes, A. (2015) Using a virtual environment to deliver evidence based interventions: the facilitator’s experience. JMIR Serious Games 3(2), e5 doi:10.2196/games.4293.
- Sculli, G., Fore, A., Sine, D.M., Paull, D.E., Tschannen, D., Aebersold, M., Seagull, F.J., & Bagian, J. (2015) Effective followership: a standardized algorithm to resolve clinical conflict and improve teamwork, Journal of Healthcare Risk Management 35 (1), 21-30 DOI: 10.1002/jhrm.
- James, S., Aebersold, M. Lapham, J. (2015) The Use of Virtual Simulation and a Modified Team STEPPS Training for Interprofessional Education, Clinical Simulation in Nursing, 11, 163-171.
- Kalisch, B., Aebersold, M., McLaughlin, P., Tschannen, D., & Lane, S. (2015) Using virtual simulation to improve nursing teamwork: a feasibility study. Western Journal of Nursing, 32(2), 164-179.
- Tschannen, D., McClish, D., Aebersold, M. & Rohde, J. (2015) Improving nurse and physician communication through a nursing crew resource management (NCRM) intervention. Journal of Nursing Care Quality, 30(1)7-11.
- Valladares, A.F., Aebersold, M., Tschannen, D., Villarruel, A. M. Preparing facilitators for evidence-based intervention training in Second Life (2014) Journal of Medical Internet Research, 16(9), e220, doi: 10.2196/jmir.3606.
- Aebersold, M. (2014) High stakes for our patients sake. [Editorial] Clinical Simulation in Nursing, 10, 441.
- Villarruel, A. M., Aebersold, M.,Valladares, A. F., Yeagley, E., & Tschannen, D. (2014) Avatars travel for free:Virtual access to evidence-based intervention training and capacity building. AIDS Education and Prevention: An Interdisciplinary Journal, 26(5), 445-458.
- Tschannen, D., Aebersold, M. Kocan, M, Lundy, F., Calarco, M. & Potempa, K. (June 22, on-line). Improving patient care through student leadership in team quality improvement projects. Journal of Nursing Care Quality.
- Gonzalez, L. Aebersold, M. & Fenske, C. (2014) Diffusion of Innovation: Faculty Barriers to Adoption Computers, Informatics, Nursing, 32 (5), 201-214.
- Aebersold, M. & Titler, M. (2014) A simulation model to improve learner and health outcomes, Nursing Clinics of North America, 49, 431-439