Joanne M. Pohl
Joanne M. Pohl, PhD, ANP-BC, FAAN, FAANP
Room 3330 400NIB
University of Michigan School of Nursing
400 North Ingalls Building
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-5482
Telephone: (734) 274-1107
Fax: (734) 647-0351
Scholarly Expertise / Activity
- Primary care
- Health care policy, scope of practice
- Nurse managed health centers
- Outcomes and cost of care in primary care
- Health disparities
Bringing more than 35 years of experience as a nurse practitioner to all of her pursuits, Dr. Pohl’s scholarship focuses on health outcomes, cost of care in nurse managed health centers, and health informatics in safety net practices. At the University of Michigan, she directed the Adult Nurse Practitioner Program and served as Associate Dean for Community Partnerships for eight years. She is a past president of National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties (NONPF), and is actively involved in policy related to primary care and nurse practitioners. She has been involved in the Quality and Safety Education for Nurses (QSEN), served on the Institute of Medicine Committee on Geographic Adjustment Factors in Medicare, currently serves on the Advisory Board for the Nursing Alliance for Quality Care. She is actively involved in nursing in Haiti and is President-elect of the Haiti Nursing Foundation.
Current Research Grants and Programs:
- "A Partnership for Clinician EHR Use and Quality of Care." Funded by AHRQ Ambulatory Safety and Quality Program: Improving Quality through Clinician Use of Health IT. 2007-2011. PI.
- Consultant on HRSA/AHRQ Grant: CHARN, ARRA-Community Health Applied Research Network: A Community Alliance for Technology Enabled Comparative Effectiveness Research Grant #UB2HA20234. 2010-2013
- Served on HRSA grant "Expanding a Nurse-Managed Health Clinic to Improve Access to Care and Facilitate Training of the Nurse Practitioner Work Force." 2010-2014
Dr. Pohl has provided leadership in teaching in the nurse practitioner programs in the U-M School of Nursing as well as in mentoring doctoral students. She has consulted on topics related to advanced practice nursing both nationally and abroad and directed the Adult NP track from 1993-2000 before taking on an Associate Dean position in the school. She remains involved in the National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties. She served as a Visiting Professor for the 2011-2012 school year at the University of Alabama at Birmingham and continues to consult.
Affiliations / Service
- President: Haiti Nursing Foundation 2015-2018
- Appointed by County Commissioners to the Washtenaw County Board of Health 2014-present
- Co-Chaired the National Task Force on Quality Nurse Practitioner Education 5th edition, 2016
- Institute of Medicine Committee: Geographic Adjustment Factors in Medicare Payment, 2011-2012
- Member, Bipartisan Policy Center Expert Panel on Healthcare Workforce Issues, 2011
- Member, Nursing Alliance for Quality Care Board of Directors, 2010-2014
- Fellow and Member, American Academy of Nurse Practitioners, 2010
- Member, Michigan Council of Nurse Practitioners – APRN Coalition Committee
- Member, Quality and Safety for Education of Nurses/QSEN - Advisory Board, 2006-2010
- Member, National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties (President Elect & President, 2004-2006 ; Board of Directors & Chair: Faculty Practice, 1997-2001)
- Member, Sigma Theta Tau, Rho Chapter - Nominating Committee, 2001-2002
- Fellow, American Academy of Nursing, 2000
- Member, American Nurses Association Michigan
Notable Awards / Honors
- First Awardee of the FAANP Loretta C. Ford Award for the Advancement of the Nurse Practitioner Role in Health Care, 2012
- Lifetime Achievement Award, National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties, 2011
- Fellow, American Academy of Nurse Practitioners, 2010
- President’s Leadership Award, Michigan Council of Nurse Practitioners, 2009
- Achievement in Research Award, National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties, 2006
- Fellow, American Academy of Nursing, 2000
- PhD, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 1992
- MSN, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan, 1979
- BS, Southern Connecticut State University, New Haven, CT, 1969
- Diploma in Nursing, Swedish Covenant Hospital, Chicago, IL, 1964
- Pohl, J.M., Barksdale, D., Werner, K., & Thomas, A. Health Affairs Blog, October 26, 2016. Primary Care Workforce: The Need To Remove Barriers For Nurse Practitioners And Physicians. http://healthaffairs.org/blog/2016/10/26/primary-care-workforce-the-need-to-remove-barriers-for-nurse-practitioners-and-physicians
- Marvicsin, DJ., Eagle, MJ., Munro, ML, Harlow-Rosentraub, K., Pohl, JM. (2015). Lessons learned from examining after-hours call patterns in two nurse managed health centers. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 11(2), 233-239. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nurpra.2014.07.042
- McCune, R., Lee, H., Pohl, J.M. (2015). Assessing Health Literacy in Safety Net Primary Care Practices. Applied Nursing Research. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apnr.2015.04.004
- Tanner, C., Gans, D., White, J., Nath, R., & Pohl, J (2015). Electronic Health Records and Patient Safety: Co-occurrence of early EHR implementation with patient safety practices in primary care settings. Applied Clinical Informatics, 6:136-147. http://dx. doi.org/10.4338/ACI-2014-11-RA-0099
- Pohl, J.M., Barksdale, D., & Werner, K. Health Affairs Blog, July 18, 2014. Revisiting Primary Care Workforce Data: A Future without Barriers for NPs and Physicians. Health Affairs Blog, July 28, 2014. http://healthaffairs.org/blog/author/pohl/
- Apold, S., & Pohl, J.M. (2014). No turning back. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners. 10(2):94-99.
- Benkert, R., Dennehy, P., White, J., Hamilton, A., Tanner, C., & Pohl, JM. (2014). Diabetes and hypertension quality measurement among four safety-net clinics in the U.S. Applied Clinical Informatics 5(3), 757-772.
- Pohl, J.M., Tanner, C., Hamilton, A., Kaleba, E.O., Rachman, F.D., White, J., Zeng, K. (2014). Medication Safety after Implementation of a Commercial Electronic Health Record System in Five Safety-Net Practices: A Mixed Methods Approach. Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners, 26(8), 438-444. doi: 10.1002/2327-6924.12089
- Pohl, J.M., Barksdale, D., & Werner, K. The latest data on primary care nurse practitioner and physicians: Can we afford to waste our workforce? Health Affairs Blog, July 18, 2013. http://healthaffairs.org/blog/2013/06/18/the-latest-data-on-primary-care-nurse-practitioners-and-physicians-can-we-afford-to-waste-our-workforce/
- Pohl, J.M., Nath, R. Zheng, K., Rachman, F., Gans, D., & Tanner, C. (2013). Use of a comprehensive patient safety tool in primary care practices. Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners, 25(8):415-8. doi: 10.1111/1745-7599.12021
- Dennehy, P, White, M, Hamilton, A, Pohl, JM, Tanner, C, Onifade, TJ, & Zheng, K. (2011). A Partnership Model for Implementing Electronic Health Records in Resource-Limited Primary Care Settings: Experiences from Two Nurse Managed Health Centers. Journal of the American Informatics Association. 18(6):820–6. PMID: 21828225; Doi 10.1136/amiajnl-2011-000117.
- Pohl, JM, Tanner, C, Pilon, B., & Benkert, R. (2011). Comparison of Nurse Managed Health Centers with Community Health Centers as Safety Net Providers. Policy, Politics, & Nursing Practice, 12(2) 90 - 99. DOI 10.1177/1527154411417882.
- Barkauskas, V.H., Pohl, J.M., Tanner, C., Onifade, T.J., & Pilon, B. (2011). Quality of Care in Nurse Managed Health Centers. Nursing Administration Quarterly, 25(1), DOI: 10.1097/NAQ.0b013e3182032165, 35-41.
- Pohl, J.M., Hanson, C., Newland, J., Cronenwett, L. (2010). Unleashing the full potential of nurse practitioners to deliver primary care and lead health care teams. Analysis and Commentary,Health Affairs,29(5), 900-905
- Pohl, J.M., Hanson, C., Newland, J. (2010). Nurse practitioners as primary care providers: History, context, and opportunities. Commissioned paper by the Josiah Macy Foundation for their conference on “Primary Care: Who will provide it and how will they be trained?”. Raleigh North Carolina, January 8-10, 2010.
- Pohl, J.M., Tanner, C., Barkauskas, V.H., Gans, D., Nagelkerk, J., & Fiandt, K. (2010). Nurse Managed Health Centers' National Survey: Three Years of Data. Nursing Outlook,58 (2),97-103.