April D. Bigelow
April D. Bigelow, PhD, ANP-BC, AGPCNP-BC
Clinical Associate Professor
Adult Nurse Practitioner Program Coordinator
Department of Health Behavior and Biological Sciences
Room 4118 SNB
University of Michigan School of Nursing
426 North Ingalls Building
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2003
Telephone: (734) 647-0156
Fax: (734) 763-0681
Scholarly Expertise / Activity
- Health promotion
- Vulnerable populations
- Complex care management
- Physical activity
Dr. April Bigelow is an Adult Gerontology Nurse Practitioner who currently practices through Packard Health at the Delonis Health Clinic. In this practice she sees a variety of complex care populations, including underinsured and patients experiencing homeless, for their health promotion, primary care, and acute care needs. In addition, Dr. Bigelow teaches in the Health Behavior and Biological Sciences Graduate Nurse Practitioner Programs. Since 2013, she has led a global clinical immersion experience in rural Thailand. Dr. Bigelow’s research focus includes a variety of health promotion issues within complex care populations including smoking cessation and chronic disease management.
Dr. Bigelow has a goal of making learning equally accessible to all students. She strives to help students become critical thinkers at an advanced level, to develop and understand the use of evidence-based clinical problem solving strategies and skills, and to take an active role in their education and learning in both classroom and clinical settings. Always aiming to be an inspiration to her students and graduate nurses, Dr. Bigelow teaches in the graduate program of Health Behavior and Biological Sciences, in the first year of clinical courses for the Adult Primary Care and Family Primary Care students, and in the Advanced Health Assessment course. Additionally, Dr. Bigelow supports nurse practitioner students in the adult and family tracks through their clinical practice.
Affiliations / Service
- American Nurses Credentialing Center, Adult Gerontology Primary Care Content Expert Panel, 2012-2018, 2014-2017 chair
- Shadow Health Advisory Board and expert content reviewer, 2014-present
- Member, Sigma Theta Tau, Rho Chapter, University of Michigan, 1998-present
- Member, American Academy of Nurse Practitioners, 2003-present
- Member, Michigan Council of Nurse Practitioners, 2010-present
- Member, National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties, 2008-present
- Member, National Alliance for the Homeless, 2008-present
Notable Awards / Honors
- Sigma Theta Tau Rising Star Award (2011)
- National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties, Outstanding NP Educator nominee (2013, 2014)
- Association of Program Directors in Internal Medicine, Best Program Innovation Award for CaringWithCompassion.org (2014)
- University of Michigan Provost’s Teaching Innovation Prize Award for CaringWithCompassion.org (2014)
- Council on Global Engagement Award, 2014
- Daisy Award for Nursing Education, 2015
- PhD, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 2008
- MS, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, M,I 2003
- BSN, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 1999
- Singha-Dong, N., Bigelow, A., Rajataramya, B., Villarruel, A., & Potempa, K. (accepted for publication). Capacity for noncommunicable disease research in Thailand. Journal for Public Health Management and Practice.
- Bigelow, A. & Freeland, B. (in press). Type 2 diabetes care in the elderly. Journal for Nurse Practitioners.
- Pardee, M., Munro-Kramer, M., Bigelow, A., & Dahlem, C. (in press). Human trafficking: A missed opportunity. The Clinical Advisor.
- Singha-Dong, N., Pardee, M., & Bigelow, A. (2015). Reducing dipartites in hypertension control: A community-based hypertension control project for population in rural Thailand. Annals of Global Health, 81(1), 213. DOI: 10.1016/j.aogh.2015.02.989.
- Roossien, J. & Bigelow, A. (2015). Global clinical experience provides valuable insight to nursing students and faculty. Advance Healthcare Network for Nurses.
- Tschannen, D., Anderson, C., Strobbe, S., Bay, E., Bigelow, A., Dahlem, C.H.Y., Gosselin, A.K., Pollard, J., & Seng, J.S. (2014). Scholarly productivity for nursing clinical track faculty. Nursing Outlook, 62(6), 475-81. DOI: 10.1016/j.outlook.2014.05.006.
- Chick, D., Bigelow, A., Seagull, J., Rye, H., Davis, P., & Williams, B. (2014). Caring with Compassion, Domain 1: U.S. Public Healthcare Systems. MedEdPORTAL, Association of American Medical Colleges, Available from: www.mededportal.org/publication/9811.
- Chick, D., Bigelow, A., Seagull, J., Rye, H., Davis, P., & Williams, B. (2014). Caring with Compassion, Domain 2: Bio-psychosocial Care of Uninsured, Homeless, Underserved, and At-Risk Populations. MedEdPORTAL, Association of American Medical Colleges, Available from: www.mededportal.org/publication/9755.
- Bigelow, A., Villarruel, A.M., & Ronis, D.L. (2014). The relationship of alcohol use and physical activity from an ecologic perspective. Journal of Specialists in Pediatric Nursing. 19 (1), 28-38, DOI: 10.1111/jspn.12044, EPub 2013 Jul30.
- Villarruel, A.M., Bigelow, A., & Alvarez, C. (2014). Integrating the 3D’s: A Nursing Perspective. Public Health Reports, 129(Suppl 2), 37-44.
- Viher, D. & Bigelow, A. (2013). Diagnosis and management of three common liver disorders in primary care. NP Professional Practice Compendium, American Association of Nurse Practitioners, 1(3), 12-20.
- Bigelow, A., Dahlem, C.H., & Pardee, M. (2013). Hypertension and substance abuse mask an underlying condition. The Clinical Advisor, September 2013 issue, 64-69 (available online August 15, 2013). (http://www.clinicaladvisor.com/hypertension-and-substance-abuse-mask-an-underlying-condition/article/310001/)
- Bigelow, A. & Stepka, D. (2012). Smoking cessation in adults who are homeless. Practice Nursing, 23 (8), 406-412.
- Eakin, B.L., Villarruel, A.M., Jemmott, J.B., Jemmott, L.S., Ronis, D.L. & Bigelow, A. (2005). Physical activity in Latino adolescents: understanding influences on activity intentions. Hispanic Healthcare International, 3 (3), 125-131.