Cynthia Arslanian-Engoren, PhD, RN, ACNS-BC, FAHA, FAAN
University of Michigan School of Nursing
400 North Ingalls Building
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-5482
Scholarly Expertise / Activity
- Decision Science
- Nurses Decision-Making
- Coronary heart disease in women
- Cognitive Dysfunction
Dr. Arslanian-Engoren is a nurse scientist with decision-making expertise. She has extensively studied the decisions of emergency department nurses’ who triage women for symptoms of an acute myocardial infarction (MI) and the treatment seeking decisions of women with acute MI. Her research foci has recently expanded to include the study of decision regret among critical care nurses and the examination of cognitive dysfunction among older adults hospitalized for acute heart failure. Her research has been published in American Journal of Cardiology, American Journal of Critical Care, Journal of Cardiac Failure, Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, Journal of Emergency Nursing, and Nursing Research.
Current Research Grants and Programs:
- Understanding and Facilitating High-Stakes Collaborative Medical Decisions (MCubed, University of Michigan) 2016-2017
- The Development and Evaluation of a Computer-Based, Nurse-lead Cognitive Training and Educational Pilot Intervention to Improve Self-Care Management Behaviors in Adults in Heart Failure (NIH/NINR P20NR015331-02), 2015-2017
- Women’s emergency department MI care seeking experiences
Dr. Arslanian-Engoren is an experienced academician who has taught across the curricula. At the undergraduate level, she has used her expertise to teach clinical decision-making and adult health nursing. At the graduate level, she has taught nursing theory, research, and advanced practice didactic and clinical courses to the acute care graduate nursing students. In addition, she has mentored undergraduate honors students and graduate students in the completion of their research and scholarly projects (e.g. master’s projects, doctoral preliminary examinations, dissertations). Dr. Arslanian-Engoren often includes students as members of her research team, providing mentorship experiences and experiential knowledge of critical aspects of scientific inquiry.
Affiliations / Service
- Co-Chair, American Academy of Nursing, Acute and Critical Care Expert Panel, 2015-present
- Director-at-Large, Michigan Association of Clinical Nurse Specialists, 2009-present
- Member, University of Michigan Institutional Review Board, Health Sciences and Behavioral Sciences [Maize]
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing
Notable Awards / Honors
- University of Michigan Provost's Teaching Innovation Prize, 2015
- Midwest Nursing Research Society, Senior Nurse Researcher Award, Decision Making Research Section, 2014
- Midwest Nursing Research Society, Distinguished Scientist Award, Acute Care Research Section, 2012
- Midwest Nursing Research Society, Senior Investigator Award, Women’s Health Research Section, 2012
- Fellow, American Academy of Nursing, 2012
- Fellow, American Heart Association, 2008
- PhD, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 1999
- Graduate Certificate in Women’s Studies, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 1998
- MSN, Medical College of Ohio, Toledo, OH, 1994
- BSN, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, 1989
- Moser, DK, Arslanian-Engoren, C, Biddle, MJ, Chung, ML, Dekker, RL, Hammash, MH, Mudd-Martin, G, Alhurani, AS & Lennie, TA. (2016). Psychological aspects of heart failure. Current Cardiology Reports, 18(12), 119.
- Arslanian-Engoren, C, Laskowski-Jones, L, Bressler, T, Kolanowski, AM, Perez, A, Popjoy LL & Caceres, B. (2016). The American Academy of Nursing on Policy: Admit to Observation Status: Policy Brief. Nursing Outlook, 64(6), 604-606.
- Arslanian-Engoren, C, Giordani B, Algase D, Shuh A, Lee, C, & Moser DK. (2016). Recruitment and retention challenges of examining cognitive dysfunction in older adults hospitalized for acute heart failure. American Journal of Critical Care, 25(5), 418-421.
- Eisenhauer, E & Arslanian-Engoren, C. (2016). Religious values and biobanking decisions: An integrative review. Research and Theory for Nursing Practice, 30(2), 104-123.
- Arslanian-Engoren, C & Scott LD. (2016). Women’s perception of biases and barriers in their myocardial infarction triage experience. Heart & Lung: The Journal of Acute and Critical Care, 45(3), 166-172.
- Arslanian-Engoren, C., Eastwood, J-A., DeJong , M.J., & Berra, K. (2015). Participation in heart-healthy behaviors: A secondary analysis of the American Heart Association Go Red Heart Match Data. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 30(6), 479-483.
- Xie, B, & Arslanian-Engoren, C. (2015). Self-concepts of exercise in frail older adults with heart failure: A literature review. Research and Theory for Nursing Practice: An International Journal, 29(2), 113-124.
- Arslanian-Engoren, C, Giordani, BJ, Algase, D, Schuh, A, Lee, C & Moser, DK. (2014). 'Cognitive dysfunction in older adults hospitalized for acute heart failure.' Journal of Cardiac Failure, 20(9), 669-678.
- Arslanian-Engoren, C & Scott, LD. (2014). 'Clinical decision regret among critical care nurses: A qualitative analysis. Heart & Lung: The Journal of Acute and Critical Care, 43(5), 416-419.
- Engoren, M, Habib, RH, Arslanian-Engoren, C, Kheterpal, S & Schwann, TA. (2014). ‘The effect of acute kidney injury and discharge creatinine level of mortality following cardiac surgery’ Critical Care Medicine, 42(9):2069-74
- Scott, LD, Arslanian-Engoren, C & Engoren, M. (2014). ‘The association of sleep and fatigue with decision regret among critical care nurses.’ American Journal of Critical Care, 23, 13-23.
- Gillis, NK, Arslanian-Engoren, C & Struble, LM (2014). ‘Acute coronary syndromes in older adults: A review of literature.’ Journal of Emergency Nursing, 40(3), 27-275.
- Banarjee, T, Lee, KS, Browning, SR, Hopenhayn, C, Westneat, S, Biddle, MJ, Arslanian-Engoren, C, Eastwood, JA, Mudd, G, Moser, DK. (2014). ‘Limited association between perceived control and health-related quality of life in patients with heart failure.’ Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 29(3), 227-231.
- Riley, P & Arslanian-Engoren, C. (2013). ‘Cognitive dysfunction and self-care decision making in patients with heart failure: a review of the literature.’ European Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 12(6):505-11
- Arslanian-Engoren, C & Hagerty, BM. (2013). The development and testing of the nurses' cardiac triage instrument. Research and Theory for Nursing Practice: An International Journal, 27(1):9-18.