Susanne A. Quallich
Susanne A. Quallich, MSN, ANP-BC, NP-C, CUNP, FAANP
University of Michigan Health System
Taubman Health Care Center
Dept. of Urology, Room 3875
1500 E. Medical Center Drive, SPC 5330
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-5330
Scholarly Expertise / Activity
- Chronic pain in men’s urology
- Men’s health issues and disparities
- Male infertility issues
- Men’s sexual function issues
Ms. Quallich has been a member of the Department of Urology at the University of Michigan, Division of Sexual and Reproductive Health, since 2002. She is one of only 150 nurse practitioners in the country with a specialty certification in Urology (CUNP). Her unique clinical focus in the male sexual and reproductive health has made her a nursing leader and expert in these areas. Due to her leadership and expertise in male reproductive health, Ms. Quallich was the first nurse named to the Society for Male Reproduction in Urology and the Society for the Study of Male Reproduction.
Ms. Quallich is a frequent invited lecturer at the national, state, and local levels due to her unique expertise in men’s sexual and reproductive health issues. She has taught the acute and chronic men’s urologic health classes for the nurse practitioner students at the School of Nursing since 2004, and has lectured in the BSN reproductive health section on male reproductive health issues. Since 2011, she has presented a lecture on urologic emergencies for the American College of Nurse Practitioner students.
Affiliations / Service
- Executive Board Member, Certification Board for Urologic Nurses and Associates, 2004-present; (President, March 2011-present; President-Elect, October 2009-March 2011)
- Editorial Board Member, Urologic Nursing Journal, November 2003-present; (Guest Editor, Men’s Health Issue August 2006; Manuscript Reviewer, May 2000-December 2003)
- Member Advisory Board, Society of Urologic Nurses and Associates’ Core Curriculum, February 2012-present
- Member, Society for Male Reproduction in Urology
- Member, Society for the Study of Male Reproduction
- Member, American Society for Reproductive Medicine
- Member, American Urological Association
- Member, Sigma Theta Tau
Notable Awards / Honors
- Member of the Year Award, Great Lakes Society of Urological Nurses and Associates, 2013
- President’s Trophy for Outstanding Contributions to Urologic Nursing, Society of Urological Nurses and Associates, 2008
- Nurse Practitioner of the Year, Michigan Council of Nurse Practitioners, 2005
- MSN, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, 1996
- BSN, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, 1994
- BS, John Carroll University, Cleveland, OH, 1993
- Quallich, S.A., & Arslanian-Engoren, C. (in press). Chronic testicular pain in adult men: an integrative literature review. American Journal of Men’s Health.
- Quallich, S.A. (2013). Men’s health in Urology: disparity or opportunity? Editorial. Urologic Nursing, 33, (1), 6-7.
- Ohl, D.A., Quallich, S.A., Sønksen, J., Brackett, N.L., & Lynne, C.M. (2013). Treatment of ejaculatory dysfunction. In Goldstein, M., & Schlegel, P.N., (Eds.), Surgical and Medical Management of Male Infertility. Cambridge University Press: New York.
- Fode, M., Quallich, S. A., Reisman, Y., Sønksen, J., & Ohl, D. A. (2012). Epidemiology and diagnosis of hypogonadism. In Kavoussi, P.K., Castabile, R.A., & Salomia, A., (Eds.), Clinical Urologic Endocrinology: Principles for Men's Health. Springer: New York.
- Quallich, S.A. (2012). Genitourinary emergencies. In Hammond, B.B., & Zimmerman, P.G., (Eds.), Sheehy’s Manual of Emergency Care (7th edition). St. Louis: Elsevier
- Gaines, K.K., & Quallich, S.A. (2011). Toward advances in practice (editorial). Urologic Nursing, 31, (6), 325-326.
- Quallich, S.A. (2011). A survey evaluating the current role of the nurse practitioner in urology. Urologic Nursing, 31, (6), 328-336.
- Quallich, S.A. (2010). Male infertility: A primer for nurse practitioners. The Nurse Practitioner: The American Journal of Primary Healthcare, 35, (12), 28-36. doi:10.1097/01.NPR.0000390435.13252.5a
- Quallich, S.A. (2009). Determining when men need testosterone. The Clinical Advisor, 12, (7), 53-59.
- Quallich, S.A. (2009). Reforming health care. Editorial. Urologic Nursing, 29, (2), 78-79.
- Ohl, D.A., Quallich, S.A., Sonksen, J., Brackett, N.L., Lynne, C.M. (2009). Anejaculation: A shocking story. Seminars in Reproductive Medicine, 27, (2), 179-85.
- Ohl, D.A., Quallich, S.A., Sonksen, J., Brackett, N.L. Lynne, C.M. (2008). Anejaculation and retrograde ejaculation. Urologic Clinics of North America, 35, (2), 211-220.
- Quallich, S.A., Ohl, D.A., & Dunn, R. (2008). Evaluation of three penile prosthesis pump designs in a blinded survey of practitioners. Urologic Nursing, 28, (2), 101-105.
- Liechty, A. & Quallich, S.A. (2008). Teaching a patient to successfully operate a penile prosthesis. Urologic Nursing, 28, (2), 106-108.
- Ohl, D.A., & Quallich, S.A. (2006). Clinical hypogonadism and androgen replacement therapy: An overview. Urologic Nursing, 26, (4), 253-259, 269.