Sally L. Lusk
Sally L. Lusk, PhD, RN, FAAN, FAOHN
University of Michigan School of Nursing
400 North Ingalls Building
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-5482
Scholarly Expertise / Activity
- Promoting use of hearing protection
- Testing behavioral interventions
- Promoting worker health and safety
- Effects of noise
Dr. Lusk's research speaks for itself. Her innovative behavioral approach to increasing workers' protective behavior served as the basis for the internal program of research at the National Institute for Occupational Health and Safety. She conducted the country's - and potentially the world's - first large-scale, randomized clinical trials of interventions to promote the use of hearing protection. During her career, she received more than $6.5 million in total funding from federal and foundation sources to support research and training project. Further, she has been appointed to federal review groups, coordinating committees, task forces, and served as an AAN Senior Scholar at AHRQ. Publishing nine book chapters and over seventy articles in refereed journals, she was a natural mentor to her younger colleagues, facilitating a number of them in obtaining their own research funding.
Over her long career, Dr. Lusk taught courses and advised students in all program levels and guided numerous master's degree theses and projects, and doctoral degree students through program planning to dissertation. In addition to working directly with students, Dr. Lusk also developed and administered several innovative educational programs such as the off-campus BSN completion programs in Flint, Kalamazoo, and Traverse City; the Occupational Health Nursing (OHN) MS degree program; the OHN specialization in the U-M School of Nursing's PhD program; and the offering of the OHN MS program in an On-Job/On Campus format through collaboration with the School of Public Health and the College of Engineering. Dr. Lusk has also been active in the larger national and international nursing community through guiding faculty in research design and implementation as well as presenting keynotes, papers, and posters at numerous nursing and multidisciplinary conferences.
Affiliations / Service
- Member, Midwest Nursing Research Society (MNRS), 1979-present (Member, Board of Directors, 1992-94; Chair Program Planning Committee, 1993-94; President-Elect, 2004-2005; President, 2005-2007)
- President, MNRS Foundation 2008-present
- Member, American Public Health Association (APHA), 1964-present (PHN Program Chair, 1985; PHN Program Co-Chair, 1992-93)
- Member, Michigan Nurses Association (MNA), 1970-present (several service roles 1971-95)
- Member, Sigma Theta Tau Rho Chapter, 1970-present (several service roles 1971-95)
- Member, American Association of Occupational Health Nurses, (Member, Journal Editorial Board, 1989 -94; several service roles, 1989 – 2015)
- Member, American Academy of Nursing 1988-present (Nominating Committee, 1997-98)
Notable Awards / Honors
- Top 100 Alumni Legacy Leaders, 2014, Distinguished Alumna, 2000, Indiana University School of Nursing
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Midwest Nursing Research Society, 2012
- Fellow, American Academy of Nursing, 1988-present
- American Academy of Nursing Senior Scholar at the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, 1999-2000
- Fellow, American Association of Occupational Health Nurses, 2000-present
- President’s Award, Midwest Nursing Research Society, 2009
- PhD - Educational Psychology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 1979
- MPH - Public Health and Public Health Nursing, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 1969
- BSN, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 1967
- Lusk, S.L., McCullagh, M.C.,Dickson, V.V., Xu, J. (2016). Position statement: Harmful effects of environmental noise exposures. Nursing Outlook, 64, 395-396.
- Smith, P.S., Monaco, B.A., Lusk, S.L. (2014). Attitudes toward use of hearing protection devices and effects of an intervention on fit-testing results. Workplace Health & Safety, 62(12), 491-499.
- McCullagh, M.C., Raymond, D.M., Kerr, M.J. & Lusk, S.L. (2011). Prevalence of hearing loss and accuracy of self-report among factory workers. Noise and Health, 13(54), 340-347.
- McCullagh, M.C., Ronis, D.L., & Lusk, S.L. (2010). Predictors of use of hearing protection among a representative sample of farmers. Research in Nursing and Health, 33(6), 528-538.
- Conn, V.S., Hafdahl, A.R., Cooper, P.S., Brown, L.M., & Lusk, S.L. (2009). Meta-analysis of workplace physical activity interventions. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 37(4), 330-339.
- Kerr, M.J., Savik, K. Mons, K., & Lusk, S.L. (2007). Effectiveness of computer-based tailoring versus targeting to promote use of hearing protection. Canadian Journal of Nursing Research, 39(1), 80-97.
- Raymond, D.M. & Lusk, S.L. (2006). Testing decisional balance and self-efficacy applied to workers’ use of hearing protection. Nursing Research, 55(5), 328-335.
- Hong, O., Ronis, D.L., Lusk, S.L., & Kee, K.S. (2006) Effectiveness of a computer-based hearing test and tailored hearing protection intervention. International Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 13 (4), 304-314.
- Barkauskas, V.H., Lusk, S.L., & Eakin, B.L. (2005). Selecting control interventions for clinical outcome studies. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 27(3), 346-363.
- Lusk, S.L., Hagerty, B.M., Gillespie, B., & Ziemba, R. (2004). Acute effects of workplace noise on blood pressure and heart rate. Archives of Environmental Health: An International Journal, 59(8), 392-399.
- Lusk, S.L., Eakin, B.L., Kazanis, A.S., & McCullagh, M.C. (2004). Effects of booster interventions on factory workers' use of hearing protection. Nursing Research, 53(1), 53.
- Lusk, S.L., Ronis, D.L., Kazanis, A.S., Eakin, B.L., Hong, O.S., & Raymond, D.M. (2003). Effectiveness of a tailored intervention to increase factory workers’ use of hearing protection. Nursing Research, 52(5), 289-295.
- Lusk, S.L., Hagerty, B.M., Gillespie, B., & Caruso, C.C. (2002). Chronic effects of workplace noise on blood pressure and heart rate. Archives of Environmental Health: An International Journal, 57(4), 273-281.
- Kerr, M.J., Lusk, S.L., & Ronis, D.L. (2002). Explaining Mexican American workers’ hearing protection use with health promotion model. Nursing Research, 51(2), 100-109.
- McCullagh, M., Lusk, S.L., & Ronis, D.L. (2002). Factors influencing use of hearing protection among farmers: A test of the Pender Health Promotion model. Nursing Research, 51, 33-39.