Nadia A. Charania
Nadia A. Charania, PhD, RN
University of Michigan School of Nursing
400 North Ingalls Building
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-5482
Scholarly Expertise / Activity
- International women’s mental health
- Prevention and management of major depression
- Decision making and self-management strategies
- Ways to enhance classroom and clinical teaching and learning
Dr. Charania teaches at the undergraduate level. She holds a Clinical Instructor position as the PMHN Specialty participating in the Clinical Excellence Initiative of UMSN. She has extensive teaching experience with both national and international nursing students and nursing staff. Prior to her appointment at UMSN, Dr. Charania was an Assistant Professor at the Aga Khan University School of Nursing, Pakistan (AKUSON). She believes that learning is a life-long process, that students and faculty partner in a learning journey toward educational and clinical excellence. She encourages students to utilize evidence-based findings to understand theoretical concepts to strengthen clinical practice.
Affiliations / Service
- Member, Sigma Theta Tau-Rho Chapter, University of Michigan, 2003-2005; Present
Notable Awards / Honors
- Clinical Excellence RN Award, Aga Khan University School of Nursing, 1988
- Outstanding Teachers’ Award, Aga Khan University School of Nursing, 1995
- Aga Khan Foundation Scholarship, Aga Khan Foundation, 1997-1998
- Meritorious Achievement in Thesis Research Award, University of Arizona, 1998
- Lipshutz Award, Rackham-University of Michigan, 2005
- Barbour Scholarship, Rackham-University of Michigan, 2005
- PhD, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 2013
- MS, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, 1999
- BScN, Aga Khan University School of Nursing, Karachi, PK, 1993
- RN, Aga Khan University School of Nursing, Karachi, PK, 1988
- Charania, N.A.M.A., Hagerty, B. M., (2016) The pervasive role of religion/spirituality in Pakistani women’s self-management of recurrent depression: a qualitative study. International Journal of Current Research, 8, (04), 30107-30114.
- Tilahun, Y., Nasrabadi, A., Alemayehu, M., Teklu A., Charania, N.A.M.A, (2016). The journey of Ethiopian nursing education: A glimpse of past, present and future. International Journal of Current Research, 8, (02), 26828-26833.
- Charania, N.A.M.A., Hagerty, B. M., Dansel, L., & Wilson, C. M. (2015). Weekly clinical synopsis: Piloting an innovative clinical teaching strategy. Journal of Nursing Education and Practice, 5(3), 71-80.
- Ali, G., Lalani, N.S., Charania, N.A.M.A.(2015). Community mental health initiatives in Pakistan. Nursing Standard, 29(22), 44-48.