Mary J. Steven
Mary J. Steven, MS, RN, ACNP-BC
University of Michigan School of Nursing
400 North Ingalls Building
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-5482
Scholarly Expertise / Activity
- Recognition of pressure injury and correct staging pressure ulcer in hospitalized patients
- Risk factors, annual trends, current treatment options in malignant melanomas and other skin cancers
- Legislative activities to improve the quality of health care in the U.S.
- Providing guidance of an evidence-based approach in the clinical arena to nursing students
- Care of vulnerable patient populations
Mary Steven is an Acute Care Nurse Practitioner who has focused her career in wound care and pressure injury in the hospitalized patient. Mary’s past expertise has included working collaboratively with General, Vascular, and Plastic/ Reconstructive Surgeons on in-patient and out-patient wound care teams. Mary has focused her research in the recognition of deep tissue injury in the darkly pigmented skin type. Additionally, she has developed evidence-based assessment guidelines specifically for that skin type which she enthusiastically demonstrates to her students on the clinical floor.
In addition to being a Nurse Practitioner, Mary has her Certificate in Nursing Education from the University of Michigan and her academic focus is primarily undergraduate nursing. However, Mary has had the opportunity to have held a variety of teaching roles in her career. Within the didactic classroom based setting, she focuses on the educational needs of the student in the acute care background, and prepares them to practice in a multi-cultural society. Teaching on the clinical floor enables her to provide the leadership and instruction that is needed to implement evidence–based practice in clinical care. Additional teaching roles have included patient education required for improved health status, staff education seminars in wound care, and lifestyle modification for wellness promotion at community health fairs. As Mary believes education is a lifelong enterprise she has developed teaching strategies to reach multiple types of learners.
Affiliations / Service
- Member, Sigma Theta Tau: Honor Society of Nursing, 2006 - present
- Member, Michigan Coalition of Nurse Practitioners, 2009 - present
- Member, American Nurses Association, 2006 - present
- Member, Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, 2005 - present
- MS, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 2010
- BSN, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 2009
- ASN, Mercy College of Northwest Ohio, Toledo, OH 2007