Erin M. Kahle
Erin M Kahle, PhD, MPH
University of Michigan School of Nursing
400 North Ingalls Building
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-5482
Scholarly Expertise / Activity
- HIV/AIDS Prevention/Management
- Global Health
- Infectious Disease Epidemiology
- Public Health
- Health Disparities
Dr. Kahle’s program of research focuses on HIV prevention and management, with a specific focus on developing HIV prevention programs incorporating biomedical prevention tools with behavioral interventions. Her research efforts include understanding barriers to implementing biomedical HIV prevention programs, including pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP), at the provider, individual and community level to better design effective programs aimed at reducing HIV transmissions among sexual minorities and in resource limited settings. Dr. Kahle also works on biological factors influencing HIV infectiousness and transmission, with a particular interest in the intersection between basic science and epidemiology in developing new approaches for HIV prevention in public health practice.
Dr. Kahle’s teaching focuses on research methods for health sciences. Her approach to teaching involves engaging students in understanding fundamentals of research, providing opportunities to develop and practice research skills, and promoting the application of research to solve real-world challenges. Dr. Kahle currently teaches Responsible Conduct for Research and Scholarship (N803) for graduate students. She is a strong advocate for mentorship and has experience mentoring students at the undergraduate and graduate level.
Notable Awards / Honors
- Young Investigator's Award, Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections, 2012 & 2014
- Scholarship Award, International Microbicides Conference, 2012
- Honors, Master's Thesis, University of Kansas School of Medicine, 2002
- PhD, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
- MPH, University of Kansas Medical School, Kansas City, KS
- BS, Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS
- Patel EU, Manucci J, Kahle EM, Lingappa JR, Morrow RA, Piwowar-Manning E, James A, Maluzi KF, Cheeba MM, Gray G, Delany-Moretlwe S, Inambao M, Vwalika B, Quinn TC, Laeyendeck O (in press). Precision of the Kalon Herpes Simplex Virus Type 2 IgG ELISA: an international inter-laboratory assessment. BMC Infectious Diseases.
- Kelley CF, Kahle E, Siegler A, Sanchez T, Del Rio C, Sullivan P, Rosenberg ES (2015). Applying a PrEP continuum of care for men who have sex with men in Atlanta, GA. Clinical Infectious Diseases, epub abead of print.
- Sanchez TH, Sineath RC, Kahle EM, Tregear SJ, Sullivan PS (2015). The Annual American Men’s Internet Survey of Behaviors of Men who Have Sex With Men in the United States: protocol and key indicators report 2013. Journal of Medical Internet Research Public Health Surveillance, 1(1):e3
- Kahle EM, Bolton M, Hughes JP, Donnell D, Celum C, Lingappa JR, Ronal A, Cohen CR, de Bruyn G, Fong Y, Katabira E, McElrath MJ, Baetn JM (2015). Plasma cytokine levels and risk of HIV type 1 (HIV-1) transmission and acquisition: a nested case-control study among HIV-1-serodiscordant couples. Journal of Infectious Diseases, 211 (9):1451-1460.
- Kahle EM, Kashuba A, Baeten JM, Fife K, Celum C, Mujugira A, Essex M, de Bruyn G, Wald A, Donnell D, John-Stewart G, Deleany-Moretlwe S, Mugo NR, Farquhar C, Lingappa JR. (2014). Unreported antiretroviral use by HIV-1 infected participants enrolling in a clinical trial of serodiscordant couples in sub-Saharan Africa. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes, 65(2):e90-e94.
- Kahle EM, Campbell M, Lingappa J, Donnell D, Celum C, Ondondo R, Mujugira A, Fife K, Mugo N, Kapiga S, Mullins J, Baeten JM (2014). HIV-1 subtype C is not associated with higher risk of heterosexual HIV-1 transmission; a multinational study among African HIV-1 serodiscordant couples. AIDS, 28(2):235-243.
- Pattacini L, Murnane PM, Kahle EM, Bolton MJ Delrow JJ, Lingappa JR, Katabira E, Donnell D, McElrath MJ, Baeten JM, Lund JM (2013). Differential regulatory T cell activity in HIV-1-exposed seronegative individuals. AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses, 29(10): 1321-1329.
- Campbell MS, Kahle EM, Celum C, Lingappa JR, Kapiga S, Mujugira A, Mugo NR, Fife KH, Mullins JI, Baeten JM (2013). Plasma viral loads during early HIV-1 infection are similar in subtype C and non-subtype C infected African seroconverts. Journal of Infectious Diseases, 207 (7): 1166-1170.
- Kahle EM, Hughes JP, Lingappa JR, John-Steward G, Nakku-Joloba E, Njuguna S, Bukusi E, Manongi E, Celum C, Baetn JM (2013). An empiric risk scoring tool for identifying high-risk heterosexual HIV-1 serodiscordant couples for targeted HIV-1 prevention. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes, 62(3): 339-347.
- Lingappa JR, Petrovski S, Kahle E, Fellay J, Shianna K, McElrath MJ, Thomas KK, Baeten JM, Celum C, Wald A, de Bruyn G, Mullins JI, Nakku-Joloba E, Farquhar C, Essex M, Donnell D, Kiarie J, Haynes B, Goldstein D (2011). Genome-wide association study for host genetic determinants of HIV-1 acquisition and plasma HIV-1 RNA set point among African HIV-1 discordant couples with quantified HIV-1 exposure. PLoS One, 6(12):e28632
- Baeten J, Kahle E, Lingappa J, Coombs R, Delany-Moretlwe S, Nakku-Joloba E, Mugo N, Wald A, Corey L, Celum C (2011). Genital HIV-1 RNA levels predict risk of heterosexual HIV-1 transmission. Science Translational Medicine, 3(77):77ra29.
- Campbell MS, Mullins JI, Hughes JP, Celum C, Wong KG, Raugi DN, Sorensen S, Stoddard JN, Zhao H, Deng W, Kahle E, Panteleef D, Baeten JM, McCutchan FE, Albert J, Leitner T, Wald A, Corey L, Lingappa JR (2011). Viral linkage in HIV-1 seroconverters and their partners in an HIV-1 prevention clinical trial. PLoS One, 6(3):e16986
- Lingappa, JR, Kahle E, Mugo N, Mujugira A, Magaret A, Baeten J, Bukusi EA, Cohen CR, Katabira E, Ronald A, Kiarie J, Farquhar C, Stewart GJ, Makhema J, Essex M, Were E, Fife K, deBruyn G, Gray G, McIntyre J, Manongi R, Saidi K, Coetzee D, Allen S, Inambai M, Kayitenkore K, Karita E, Kanweka W, Delany S, Rees H, Vwalika B, Coombs RW, Morrow R, Whittington W, Corey L, Wald A, Celum C (2009). Characteristics of HIV-1 discordant couples enrolled in a trial of HSV-2 suppression to reduce HIV-1 transmission: The Partners Study. PLoS One, 4(4):e5272
- Kahle EM, Lansky A, Barash EA, Page LC, Sullivan PS, Jafa K, Buskin SE (2009). Evaluation of the impact of news coverage of an HIV multiclass drug resistance cluster in Seattle, WA, USA. American Journal or Public Health, 99(S1):S131-S136.
- Kahle E, Zhang Q, Golden M, Goldbaum G, Buskin S (2007). Trends in evaluation for sexually transmitted infections (STIs) among HIV-infected people, King County, Washington. Sexually Transmitted Disease, 34(12): 940-946.