Deborah M. Price
Deborah M. Price, DNP, MS, RN
University of Michigan School of Nursing
426 North Ingalls Building
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2003
Scholarly Expertise / Activity
- Palliative Care
- End-of-Life Care
- Patient /Family decision -making
- Nursing Education
- Acute Medical Surgical Adult Care
Dr. Price’s program of scholarship falls under the umbrella of Quality Improvement with relevance to Patient Safety Outcomes, and Patient and Family Centered Care. Her goal is to promote structure, process and outcomes of nursing care that focus on quality improvement and best practices in the critically and chronically ill patient populations. Dr. Price is developing an expertise in advanced illness and palliative care concepts so that she can impact the quality of care that patients receive in chronic illness and end-of-life situations. Additionally, she advocates for informed patient and family decision-making in advanced illness situations.
Dr. Price’s research focus is on interdisciplinary palliative care competencies. Additionally she seeks to utilize and evaluate innovative teaching technologies which promote student competencies in the clinical and didactic environments.
Current Research Grants and Programs:
- UMHS Palliative Care Innovation Grant
- Assessment of Knowledge, Attitudes, and Behaviors of Health Care Providers Regarding Palliative and End-of-Life Care Issues across the Life Span
- Remediation Using Simulation
- Students with Pagers
- Living with Diabetes Student Experience
Dr. Price seeks to contribute to the transformation of nursing education so as to prepare confident and competent nursing graduates who are ready to transition to professional practice. She utilizes innovative technology methods and strategies in nursing education to promote student learning and engagement. Dr. Price is Faculty of Record for the undergraduate senior course N457 and N459 Nursing Care of Patients with Complex Needs I and II, the second career course NSC 413 Nursing Therapies III, and does didactic as well as clinical education.
Affiliations / Service
- Member, Sigma Theta Tau, Rho chapter, 1978 – present (Faculty Advisor 2010–present)
Notable Awards / Honors
- Excellence in Nursing Education Award, STTI Rho chapter, 2014
- Clinical Innovation Award at UMHS Nursing Poster Showcase, 2014
- DAISY Award for Extraordinary Nursing Faculty, 2012
- Mae Edna Doyle Teacher of the Year Award, University of Michigan School of Nursing, 2009
- You Make A Difference Award, University of Michigan Health System, 2010
- Josephine M. Sana Excellence in Nursing Award, University of Michigan School of Nursing, 1987
- DNP, Oakland University, Rochester, Michigan, 2012
- MSN, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 1987
- BSN, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 1978
- Price, D., B, C. & Hagerty, B. (2015). Measuring Confidence in Nursing Graduates within the Framework of the AACN Essentials. Nursing Education Perspectives. 36(2), 116 – 117.
- Price, D., Strodtman, L., Brough, E., Luo, A., & Lonn, S. (March/April 2015). Using Digital Storytelling in Palliative Care Education. Nurse Educator. 40(2), 66-70.