Barbara S. Freeland
Barbara S. Freeland, RN, DNP, ACNS-BC, CDE
University of Michigan School of Nursing
400 North Ingalls Building
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-5482
Scholarly Expertise / Activity
- Glucose control, acute care
- Glucose monitoring, acute care
- Insulin administration in the hospital
Dr. Freeland has focused on care of persons with diabetes for more than twenty years. Her clinical practice has included managing an outpatient education program, providing glucose management to inpatients, and maintaining an independent clinic practice for uninsured patients with diabetes. She was integral in helping the Michigan Department of Community Health and the Michigan Organization of Diabetes Educators evaluate standards of care for diabetes education. Dr. Freeland’s research interests have focused on diabetes care in the hospital setting, most recently investigating coordination of care around insulin administration. She was an active member of the Evidenced Based Practice/Research Counsel at the Detroit Medical Center and Detroit Receiving Hospital. She is sought as an expert reviewer by multiple journals for her knowledge of diabetes care, most recently serving as guest editor with Donna Marvicsin, PhD, RN, on a special diabetes focused issue of The Journal for Nurse Practitioners.
Dr. Freeland has more than 40 years of teaching experience with patients, colleagues and nursing students. In her work with persons with diabetes, she has assisted patients in personal goal setting for self care by guiding them in identifying and setting measureable goals, exploring their commitment to the goal, and helping them toward a healthier lifestyle, rather than presenting information in a lecture format.
While serving as a guest lecturer in the Wayne State University nurse practitioner program, Dr. Freeland conducted extensive presentations in diabetes care. She has guided graduate students in both clinical nurse specialist programs and nurse practitioner programs from Madonna University, University of Detroit Mercy, Oakland University, and Wayne State University. She has also mentored doctoral students from Chamberlain College of Nursing, University of Pittsburgh School of Nursing and Chiang Mai University, Thailand. At the UMSN she has taught all levels of undergraduate students.
Dr. Freeland has also presented at multiple state and regional conferences and symposia on diabetes care and has presented at national diabetes educator conferences. In addition, she has had an abstract accepted at the American Diabetes Association Scientific Sessions.
Notable Awards / Honors
- Nightingale Award for Nursing Excellence: Education. Oakland University, 2016
- Dedicated Service Award, Michigan Department of Community Health, 2006
- DNP, Oakland University, Rochester, MI
- MSN/MSA, Madonna University, Livonia, MI
- BSN, Madonna University, Livonia, MI
- Bigelow, A. & Freeland, B. (2017) Diabetes Care in the Elderly (In Press). The Journal for Nurse Practitioners.
- Charania, N.A.M.A, Ferguson, D., Freeland, B., Bay, E., Bradshaw, K., & Harden, K. (2016) Under review. A Professionalism and Safety Code of Conduct Designed for Undergraduate Nursing Students
- Freeland, B. (2016) CNE Series: Hyperglycemia in the hospital setting. MedSurg Nursing, 25(6), 393-396.
- Freeland, B. & Farber, M. (2016) A review of insulin for the treatment of diabetes mellitus (with continuing education credit). Home Healthcare Nurse, 34(8), 416-423. DOI: 10.1097/NHH.0000000000000446
- Fenske, C., Freeland, B., Price, D. & Brough, E. (2015) Using experiential learning to enhance nursing student knowledge and attitudes about diabetes self-care. Journal of Nursing Education and Practice, 5 (12), 104-110. DOI: 10.5430/jnep.v5n12p104
- Freeland, B. & Farber, M.(2015) Diabetes Medication Review. Home Healthcare Now, 33(6), 304-310. DOI: 10.1097/NHH.0000000000000243
- Freeland, B. 10 simple tips for your diabetes. Diabetes Daily. http://www.diabetesdaily.com/voices2014/12/holiday-health-10-simple-tips-for-your-health/
- Freeland, B. & Dempsey, D. (2014) Enhancing the BSN student's experience in the assessment and care of vascular access devices. The Journal of the Association for Vascular Access. 19(1), 17-20.
- Freeland, B. Clinical Query: Glucose Control. Nursing 2014; in press
- Freeland, B. (2014) Diabetes Self Care Assessment. Home Healthcare Nurse, 32(8), 458-463. DOI: 10.1097/NHH.0000000000000129
- Freeland, B., & Funnell, M. (2012) Corticosteroid -induced Hyperglycemia. Nursing 42(11), 68-69, 2012. DOI-10.1097/01.NURSE.0000421388.43735.77.
- Freeland, B., Penprase, B. & Anthony, M. (2011) Nursing practice patterns: Timing of insulin administration and glucose monitoring in the hospital. The Diabetes Educator, 37(3): 357-362.
- Pieper, B., Sieggreen, M., Nordstrom, C., Kulwicki, P., Freeland, B., Palleschi, M., Sidor, D.,Burns, J., Bednarski, D., & Fratteroli, M.(2006) Bariatric surgery: Patient incision care and discharge concerns. Ostomy and Wound Management 52(6): 48-61.
- Pieper, B., Sieggreen, M., Freeland, B., Kulwicki, P., Frattarolli, M., B., Sidor, D., Palleschi, M., Burns, J., Bednarski, D., & Garretson, B. Discharge information needs of patients after surgery. J Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nursing 33:281-291.
- Pieper, B., Sieggreen, M., Nordstrom, C., Freeland, B., Kulwicki, P., Fratteroli, M. Sidor, D.,Palleschi, M., Burns, J., & Bednarski, D.(2007) Discharge knowledge and concerns of patients going home with a wound. J Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nursing 34:245-253.