Faculty are participating in this anniversary in a number of ways. Dean's Seminars for Creating the Next Era of Impact fund faculty- and student-led community dialogue around contemporary issues in science, health, and innovation.The first grant has already been awarded. Julia Seng, PhD, will lead a seminar series on conducting team research addressing toxic stress in adolescents with high levels of adverse childhood experiences. The goal for the seminar series will be to invent a model of trauma-informed nursing care for this population.
In addition, a book on the evolution of graduate-level nursing science is in the works, edited by emerita professor Dr. Shake Ketefian and including chapters by a number of UMSN faculty, including former dean Kathleen Potempa.
Reunion Weekend 2016
The annual Alumni Reunion Weekend
(October 20-23, 2016) included a number of special events in honor of our 125th year.
Innovations on Global Health Conference Recap
On April 6-7, 2016, U-M faculty and alumni, top nursing scientists, and global health leaders gathered for the Symposium on Global Health. The first session, "Nurses as Global Leaders," included keynotes by
- Vanessa Kerry, MD, on health care workforce development for resource-limited countries in order to improve local care delivery systems
- Siriorn Sindhu, DSc, professor of nursing at Mahidol University in Bangkok, on women's empowerment as a key aspect of women's health
- Michelle Dynes, PhD, on her experience delivering care on the front lines of the Ebola crisis.
The second session of the conference focused on "Universal Health Care in the Pan American Region" and included keynote addresses by
- Annette Mwansa Nkowane, MA, on the role of the World Health Organization in advocating for universal health care access in a number of different countries
- Rosemarie Josey, MSN, on the role on nurses in leading the fight for universal health care access in the Americas.
The symposium was well-attended and provided a meaningful opportunity for scholars, students, nurses, and community members to come together and discuss cross-cutting global health topics. Find out more about all the speakers
Take a trip down memory lane
through historical images and milestones. Drop us a line if you have any photographs you could contribute or can identify anyone in the photos!