2013 Dean’s Research Day Events, Photos, and Poster Winners
It was a memorable day of shared findings, fellowship, and philanthropy for the future of practice-changing research.
- Practice-Changing Research: How Do We Get There? - Daniel J. Clauw, M.D., U-M Professor of Anesthesiology, Internal Medicine, and Psychiatry
- Treating the Patient-Caregiver Dyad as the Unit of Care - Laurel Northouse, Ph.D., RN, FAAN, UMSN Mary Lou Willard French Professor of Nursing
- Breaking New Ground: Engaging the Community in Research With Homeless Families - Barbara Brush, Ph.D., ANP-BC, FAAN, UMSN Associate Professor
Award-winning research posters explore pain, stress during pregnancy, physical activity in adolescents
- First Place: Measuring Vincristine-Induced Peripheral Neuropathy (VIPN) in Children With Leukemia UMSN Assistant Professor Ellen L. Smith, Ph.D., ANP-BC, AOCN; Lang Li, Ph.D.; Raymond J. Hutchinson, MD; Elizabeth Wells, MD; Richard Ho, MD; William B. Burnette, MD; Patricia L. Robertson, MD; Celia Bridges, BA, BSN, RN; James P. Kelly; Karin Thomas; Jamie Renbarger, MD, MS.
“It’s not really about winning for me,” says Dr. Smith. “It is about having opportunities to work with other people with varying perspectives and expertise to create new knowledge that will help patients. I love learning new things by working with smart people, and I love being able to share the research experience with students. This project was meaningful to me because it led to the discovery of new knowledge, it helped others to learn new things, and in the process, we have done something good for patients.”
- Second Place: Hypothalamic Modulation of Nociception: Differences in Dose, Sex, and Pain Type UMSN Ph.D. student Monica A. Wagner, BS, RN; J. R. Moes; S. Kuhnke; UMSN professor J. E. Holden Ph.D., RN, FAAN
- Third Place: Caring for Women with Post-Traumatic Stress During Pregnancy: What Do Providers Need to Learn? Kristen R. Choi, BSN Student, Hillman Scholar; UMSN Associate Professor Julia S. Seng, P.hD., CNM, FAAN
- Students’ Choice: Performing Recommended Physical Activity and Insulin Sensitivity by Body Mass Index Among U.S. Adolescents: NHANES 1999-2006 UMSN Assistant Professor MinKyoung Song, Ph.D., RN, FNP-BC; Dianna D. Carroll; Giuseppina Imperatore; Carl J. Caspersen; Janet E. Fulton
- Dr. Ellen Smith, who co-chaired the 2013 Dean's Research Day with Dr. Marjorie McCullagh, is featured in the Journal of the American Medical Association with a video about her research: "Breakthrough in Treating Chemo-Induced Neuropathy."
- Monica Wagner is featured in a UMSN video “Ph.D. and DNP Voices from University of Michigan School of Nursing”
- Kristen Choi is part of UMSN’s inaugural class of Hillman Scholars. Students in this highly selective, research-intensive program will earn a Ph.D. at an accelerated pace.
- Dr. Minkyoung Song was installed as the inaugural “Suzanne Bellinger Feetham Professor” at Dean’s Research Day.